Obesity epidemic of India

Image
Obesity in India is on the rise. It has reached enormous proportions. As I sit and count at airports, the number of women who look obviously overweight and obese, the figures I get is 8 out of 10. And this is around same in children of all sexes and around 6 in 10 men show clearcut overweight and obesity that is obvious even to naked eye. Anthropometric measurements might reveal more of them.  What are the likely causes? I have a theory that starts analysing these cases right from the 2000s or previous century. Junk food eating and sedantry lifestyle had already given an upward push to obesity in last century. And this also gave rise to diabetes mellitus in both men and women. Hence, such mothers also had diabetes in pregnancy. Some who did not have diabetes otherwise had gestational diabetes. From 2000 to 2026 prevalence of gestational diabetes has risen in india. It has even spread to rural areas and recent national data gives a figure of 22.4% which is almost 1 in 4 pregnant mot...

Milk in Nepal and India: the difference!

 I have observed that whenever milk ferments when I am in India, the paneer or cottage cheese does not come out easily. Even if I boil it and add lime juice to it, the cheese formed is quite little and more powdery than cheesy. 

But when the same happens in Nepal, the cheese formation is immediate, dense and cheesy. I do not have to do more efforts to get cottage cheese out of the milk in Nepal. What is the reason?


I checked internet and found some factors that can affect the quality and amount of cheese 

1. Freedom from pathogenic bacteria - Good cheese forms of milk is free from pathogenic bacteria.

Differences between Nepali vs Indian panipuri 

2. Different milk quality with different amounts of fats and proteins 

3. Ultra-pasteurization can destroy vital enzymes and bacteria that are required for cheese formation 

4. If temperature of milk is less when it ferments, cheese formation will be less. 

5. If milk is rancid, it means it's fats are also broken into fatty acids. Hence cheese formation will be less.

6. Presence of psychotropic bacteria in the milk can reduce yield of cheese. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I decided to not attend Nepal Respiratory society conference 2025?

Dementia: problem, risks, effects, and management

Don't sacrifice or belittle your generation for the future generation!