Taste vs nutrition: what to eat?

Image
In the olden days, humans used to eat raw foods. Over time, they learnt the art of making fire and cooking. Now, people eat mostly cooked foods. They discovered spices and herbs and began their culinary use for aroma and taste.  This has further reached a stage where people prefer processed and ultra processed foods that are easily available in supermarkets. This could be due to lack of time and laziness, but many also prefer these foods due to the taste factor.  But when we look for tasty foods, somewhere along the way we are opting for less nutritious foods. So what should one prefer; tasty foods or nutritious foods? Tasty foods Most tasty foods are made of refined flour, unhealthy fats, and sugary base. These are artificially flavored and colored. Other additives are added to enhance texture and make foods more palatable.  Most of these foods are mass prepared and have added preservatives to increase their shelf life.  All this leads to these foods being stripped of their nutrition.

Swimming pools and seas are not for me!!!


I love swimming but I think swimming is not for me. Everytime I have waded into water, I have landed with some serious illnesses. 

Hepatitis A

I was small and in school when my father decided to take me swimming along with him. He was good in swimming and diving. I accompanied him for a few weeks. But I developed fever, yellowish discoloration of urine and yellow sclera. I was diagnosed with hepatitis A. 

An analysis of the possible causes was done. I used to never eat or drink outside. My parents were very strict on it. For school, I used to carry boiled and filtered water from home in a plastic water bottle. I used to have home cooked food at school lunch time: bread butter, bread milkmaid, bread jam or rice with curd. Then from where did I contract the bad virus?

Further investigations pinpointed to the swimming pool as the likely cause of my illness. I recovered slowly with my parents' love, care and nutritious diet. But my return to the swimming pool was halted. Dad too stopped visiting it and gave up his membership of the club. 

Urinary tract infection 

Recently, I was in Phuket, Thailand for a medical meet. It was extremely hot there. I used to take lots of water and fluids including juices. I used to stay in air-con room and not move out much. 

But how can one go to Phuket and not enjoy the ocean? Usually, I soak only my feet and lower legs in sea water. But this time, I ventured a bit more deep and was waist deep in the water. My clothes and innerwear were all soaked and immersed in the salt sea water. 

I also met an Australian lady on the beach. Both of us stood waist deep in the water enjoying it as we discussed our respective lands, it's culture and politics. We were so engrossed in the discussion that we did not realize when three hours passed by. In the morning, I only had a light breakfast. Hence, my stomach had started growling and I needed some lunch bites. We departed. 

I went to my hotel and had some food. I did go to my hotel and take bath. But I believe the bacteria of the ocean had already started to act. In a few days after this incident, I had pain in my urethral region with increased frequency of micturition, painful micturition and urgency. Suspecting urinary tract infection, I got urine analysis done. And lo and behold it was positive for pus cells and bacteria. I started antibiotics. 

But I kept wondering why I got it. Females are vulnerable to urinary tract infection, no doubt, because of their short urethra. But still what else gave me the infection? Was it the dragon fruits that I had whole or in the form of juices? It contains calcium and calcium in urine can cause bacteria to proliferate. But the calcium in dragon fruits is not as high as in milk. Were there other things in it that led to this illness? Do not know. 

Was it due to the figs that I had? But I had eaten it in moderation. It could likely be the filthy sea water that caused it. 

Nonetheless, I have to do imaging abdomen, just in case. But I have to keep away from the sea and drink more fluids!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morton's toe: Everything you need to know about your longer second toe

There can be no universal forgiveness! It never exists!

Voluntary childlessness is on the rise in the world! What are the reasons for it?